Amazing journey to Derawan Island

9:41 PM

As a matter of fact, I went to Derawan Island with indescribable feeling. Heading to Tarakan on December 4th 2014 was really a good choice for four of us. Since none of us had known the area yet, we decided to join a travel tour. Rizky had convinced my friends and I to pick Kakaban Trip. Once we received itinerary and email confirmation, we transferred sum of money to them.

Speaking of which, it`s been my second trip went to island with snorkeling theme included. Afraid? I guess so, because I barely can swim at all. neither can Joe and Anie. Well, I forgot to tell you somethin`. Ani would have canceled her participation because she was terrified. Fortunately, her brave conquered all of her fears. Then here we go...

Maratua Island



A trip from Tarakan Port to Maratua was extremely boring. As you can imagine, it took 3 (yes three) hours by a speed boat whereas nothing you can see than the sea. We disappointed for several times because there were a lot of islands passed by but nothing called Maratua Island. Finally, we reached our destination at Maratua Resort (well, we didn`t live here since we've booked homestay instead). The weather was very sunny bright. Here, all of the tour members had lunch time and free time to explore the island. 


We stayed at the lodge in Maratua Island. Although we spent our daily life at a homestay, it`s a great experience because I could enjoy sunset right in front of the house.


I wish I could stay at Maratua Resort

The view of sunset in front of my homestay


Enjoying the sunset


Well, it`s just like video-clip making


Derawan Island



On the second day, the weather was not quite friendly. Due to the high wave on the beach, our tour guide, Ryan, decided to delay the schedule until the sea waves became normal. Once sea wave was in the normal state, we got into the boat and started to go to Derawan Island. The distance was relatively far so it took almost 1 hour to go there. 

Derawan Island is one of the hottest spot ever for scuba diving lover. Well, I did not think it`s same to me. To be sure, I just learned how to snorkel and who will be the hero to catch me since I couldn`t rely on myself nor Joe. Joe was the most terrible boyfriend ever especially in beaches because his sea-phobia is really overwhelmed. (I hope you read this, hon :))




Very big tortoise

For my whole life, I never found big tortoise until I came to Derawan Island. Not far from Derawan resort, I saw a very big tortoise. And suddenly my heart was beating fast because I was feared by its size. I was just afraid to touch his body so I looked at some distances. It was really tremendous feeling when you could grateful for the universe and for God Almighty. In essence, the corals were astounded me with a lot of fish types. I just couldn`t get enough to grateful for this beautiful scenery with a joyful feeling.





Nabucco Island
On the 3rd day, there had been a slight obstacle when the group went to Kakaban dan Sangalaki Island. Our boat broke suddenly. Unfortunately, all of the people had to wait for uncertain time. Well, thank God that Ryan changed the plans that the group went Nabucco Island by another boat. Nabucco precisely is situated at Maratua Atoll but we couldn`t reach on foot because it is too far to walk around. Since Nabucco Island or resort was owned by Germany, you have to pay in Euro if you want to dive or stay on the resort. For further information about the resort and services, you could visit http://www.nabuccoislandresort.com/.


Our boat was ready to go to Nabucco Island.


Nabucco resort owned by Germany


Sangalaki Island
From Nabucco Island, we headed back to Maratua Resort to have lunch. Fortunately, the speed boat worked properly and readily took us to Kakaban Island and Sangalaki Island. Sangalaki Island is located around 30 minutes from Maratua. There are several top dive sites that you can enjoy. The most popular one is Pari Manta or Manta Stingray which is actually sting-less. You will see a lot of Manta Stingrays and be amazed how cool they are (ups, I was absolutely no guts to dive). Meanwhile, not far from the site, you could find “Sea Garden”. It is called so because of its beautiful coral and various fish that swimming around your body.



Manta Stingray which is stingless



Kakaban Island
I think the most precious place in Derawan Island is Kakaban Island. There is an island that you can play make-believe of having your own sanctuary with gorgeous lodges. Arriving at Kakaban Island made me feel that oh my god, should I have to walk through this forest with a lot and high steps? But I was wrong. It was totally crazy. I enjoyed my time here. We had to go inside the wood to reach the lake. Did I mention lake? Yes, Lake. There is a lake inside of the wood with plenty of jellyfishes. Yes..... stingless jellyfishes... Yay..... You could touch jellyfishes without worrying to be stung. In there, you are forbidden to use fin and sunblock because it may detriment to jellyfishes. If I had had this lake near my place, I would’ve enjoyed myself as a short gateway. Meanwhile, outside of the island is also an amazing place to snorkel. It is “Sea Wall” where we can find a beautiful coral structure like a steep cliff. However, it was really scary because all you can see is deep water with no idea how depth is that.







Most of all, thus experiences are really set me off to understand how beautiful my country and how precious our life. The more I go travelling, the more I can see that Indonesia has a lot of beautiful places to be stumbled upon.

You Might Also Like

0 comments